Budi Voogt is a successful digital music marketing expert and entrepreneur.
He’s also an artist manager, record label owner, music business blogger, and runs his own music marketing academy. On top of all that Budi is the author of The SoundCloud Bible, a book that helps artists build a career in today’s digital music industry. The Third Edition is out now.
Now a while ago I had a cool conversation with Budi, and unfortunately I was really tired. It was one of those days where I pretty much hadn’t slept so forgive me if I sound like a bit of a zombie. However, Budi gave me a great interview and I think he gave you guys some very interesting, and I would say cutting edge, marketing strategies to consider and possibly implement. So listen intently to this one! I’ve also created a nice little summary of some of these “takeaways” Budi provided in this interview so if you’d like to download a preview of Budi’s knowledge, head over to the show notes page at musicbusinessfacts.com
Ok, without further ado, here’s my interview with Budi Voogt. I hope you enjoy it!
Well there you go people- I really hope you enjoyed the information shared by Budi. I always love your feedback and you can always hit me up at Rodney@musicbusinessfacts.com or on Facebook at Music Business Facts
Like I said I was very tired! But I’m sure you can hear Budi’s wisdom throughout the interview. I’ve listed some of the great and interesting strategies he offered:
- Put out music consistently- Like a content marketer!
- Drop the notion of putting out EP’s and albums. Move towards singles!
- Create more promotional points and breathing room between your tracks.
- Have a follow up- life cycle of a record today is so short!
- Tactical launch!
- Buffer of 3 records- 1 single every three weeks for three months which will give you a buffer to make more content.
- 2 weeks before you put out every record find 5 artists that are current and that have a record that has ‘popped off’– research them, google them, google blogs, Hypemachine to find hype machine indexed blogs (Budi states that this is the biggest music blog aggregator on the web!), Fins journalists, agents, managers, record labels looking at Hypemachine.
- Search for promotional channels on Youtube, and music promotional channels on Soundcloud, that have all supported that one track of that one artist that has popped off. Do this 5 times! Look up those entities that have shown to push similar content- get in touch with the founder, editor and or writer is.
Here some of the other great resources that Budi mentions during the interview:
- Jon Loomer – expert in Facebook Marketing and ads
- Amy Porterfield – runs a great marketing podcast and website
- Route Note – free digital distribution for your music
- Digitalmarketer.com – another great marketing resource
All really interesting stuff!
Anyhow that’s it for me today. Until next time I hope you are setting some serious goals and doing something everyday to work towards those goals. Until next week’s episode I’ll leave you with this quote:
Opportunity is missed by most people as it is dressed in overall and looks like work!
– Thomas Edison!
Thanks for joining me- this is Rodney Holder for music Business Facts.com